Every year, the DPG organises its DPG Spring Meetings (DPG-Frühjahrstagungen) at various locations and universities in Germany. With more than 10,000 physicists annually from Germany and abroad, the DPG Spring Meetings (DPG-Frühjahrstagungen) regularly rank among the largest physics congresses in Europe.
Within this programme the active participation at the DPG Spring Meetings (DPG-Frühjahrstagungen) is financially supported.
Criteria for applicants
- you are a personal member of DPG,
- you are a conference participant with an age up to 35 years*,
- you have not completed your doctorate,
- your centre of living or work is located in Germany,
- you do not get financial support from your university or academic institution for conference participation and
- you are author or co-author of a conference contribution (talk or a poster) which was submitted and has been accepted by the administration of the conference (Funding is possible only for one participation per contribution!) ...
*For funding in 2024, this means that DPG members born in 1988 or after are eligible to apply for finacial support.
… then you can apply online for a grant by taking three steps:
- Abstract submission
- Participants registration
- Fill in the WEH online form (you will need to have your membership number at hand)
⇒ at the latest until 24 January 2024, 23:59 (CET) for the conference in Greifswald
⇒ at the latest until 29 January 2024, 23:59 (CET) for the conference in Karlsruhe
⇒ at the latest until 30 January 2024, 23:59 (CET) for the conference in Gießen
⇒ at the latest until 06 February 2024, 23:59 (CET) for the conference in Freiburg
⇒ at the latest until 14 February 2024, 23:59 (CET) for the conference in Berlin
Applications coming in after this date cannot be taken into consideration.
All required online forms can be found on the respective conference web pages at: www.dpg-tagungen.de
The WEH online forms for application are also available at the end of this page.
- Immediately after application, you will receive an automatically generated email. Check your data. If corrections are necessary, please send them immediately to .
- After a formal check by the DPG Head Office, you will get a notice of arrival by email within a few working days.
- You will be informed by the DPG Head Office by email about acceptance or refusal of your application after the application deadline.
Conference participation (Please note the opening times of the conference office!)
- Check-In: At the conference office you will receive the WEH receipt "confirmation for the WE Heraeus Communication Programme" with printed date of arrival together you’re your conference documents. Please keep this safe!
- Check-Out: At the last day of your stay you need to let DPG confirm your departure date on the WEH receipt with a DPG stamp in the conference office. Afterwards, please hand in your stamped receipt in the conference office. The departure date is important, not the time. Even after receipt of stamp, you can still give and listen to lectures.
After the conference – before billing
- Forgot your check-out?
Send the WEH receipt „confirmation for the WE Heraeus Communication Programme“ and a receipt showing your date of departure (e.g. hotel receipt, train ticket, etc.), by e-mail to by 05 April 2024 at the latest. If you have already handed in the WEH receipt at the conference office on the day of your departure, no further receipts need to be sent.
Confirmations arriving late cannot be taken into consideration.
- DPG membership account balance?
Your DPG membership fee has to be paid until 05 April 2024, at the latest.
- Current bank details?
If your bank account has changed since the application, send the current data to .
The stamped WEH receipt "confirmation for the WE Heraeus Communication Programme" includes all billing data.
The following lump sums count for the DPG Spring Meetings:
- Conference fee (early bird fee only)
- Costs per overnight stay: 20,00 Euro per overnight stay – according to your attendance. For distances less than 70 km, the overnight fee does not apply, since it is assumed that you stayed at home.
- Daily allowance: 24,00 Euro per day – according to your attendance. The daily allowance does not apply to participants from the local university, as it is assumed that meals were provided at home.
- Travel expenses: 0,18 EUR for each distance kilometre (round-trip) between conference location and university location. Only travelling costs within Germany can be refunded.
If the meeting takes place at your university, only the registration fee is subsidized because it is assumed that you ate and slept at home.
Based on the above mentioned lump sums, the total eligible costs of your trip will be determined. Your travel grant will amount max. 50% of these costs.
The payment of the grant follows – after prior notification by email – until end of Mai 2024 by wire transfer to the bank account you mentioned in your application.
In case of additional reimbursement of expenses by another institution, the applicants already bind themselves in their application to inform the reimbursing institution about the amount of the reimbursement by the Wilhelm und Else Heraeus Communication Programme of the DPG.
Deutsche Physikalische Gesellschaft e.V.
53604 Bad Honnef
WEH Online Forms for application for the DPG (Spring) Meetings (DPG-(Frühjahrs)tagungen)
Applications for funding will be possible from 01 October 2023.