Division of Metal- and Materials Physics
At present the Fachverband MM Metall- und Materialphysik (Division of Metal and Materials Physics) has about 900 members, who work in the field of the production, the structure and the physical properties of metallic and non-metallic solids. The division was founded in 1964 as Division of Metal Physics. As high-tech materials are getting more and more important, research is going to extend on composite materials and ceramics investigating their mechanical properties, the behaviour of diffusion, or phase transitions. Taking into account this development the division was renamed as Fachverband Metall- und Materialphysik (FV MM - Division of Metal and Materials Physics) in 2004.
In collaboration with another twelve divisions we conduct the Annual Spring Meetings of the Condensed Matter Section (SKM). The Arbeitsgemeinschaft Metall- und Materialphysik (AGMM - Working Committee Metal and Materials Physics) is in charge of the organization of the Spring Meeting where also the Annual General Meetings of both the division and the working committee take place.
The current topics are as follows:
- Biomaterials:Bioinspired- and biological materials
- Computational Materials Modelling: DFT, atomistic-, mesoscale- and macroscale modelling, materials design
- Liquid and Amorphous Metals
- Materials for Energy Storage and Conversion
- Mechanical Properties: Plasticity, fracture, fatigue, wear
- Microstructure and Phase Transformations
- Sensors and Actuators
- Structural Materials: Steels, light-weight materials, high-temperature materials
- Transport: Diffusion, conductivity, heat