Division of Metal- and Materials Physics
At present the Fachverband MM Metall- und Materialphysik (Division of Metal and Materials Physics) has about 900 members, who work in the field of the production, the structure and the physical properties of metallic and non-metallic solids. The division was founded in 1964 as Division of Metal Physics. As high-tech materials are getting more and more important, research is going to extend on composite materials and ceramics investigating their mechanical properties, the behaviour of diffusion, or phase transitions. Taking into account this development the division was renamed as Fachverband Metall- und Materialphysik (FV MM - Division of Metal and Materials Physics) in 2004.
In collaboration with another twelve divisions we conduct the Annual Spring Meetings of the Condensed Matter Section (SKM). The Arbeitsgemeinschaft Metall- und Materialphysik (AGMM - Working Committee Metal and Materials Physics) is in charge of the organization of the Spring Meeting where also the Annual General Meetings of both the division and the working committee take place.
The current topics are as follows:
- Development of computational methods
- Data driven material science: big data and workflows
- Materials for storage and conversion of energy (Experiment and Theory)
- Hydrogen in materials (Experiment and Theory)
- Functional materials: performance, reliability and degradation (Experiment and Theory)
- Phase transformations (Experiment and Theory)
- Interface controlled properties , nanomaterials, and microstructure design (Experiment and Theory)
- Liquid and amorphous materials (Experiment and Theory)
- Mechanical properties and alloy design: e.g. light-weight, high-temperature, multicomponent materials (Experiment and Theory)
- Transport in materials: diffusion, conduction of charge or heat (Experiment and Theory)
- Structurally and chemically complex alloys
- Additive Manufactoring: microstructure development
The contributions of the Division of Metal and Materials Physics MM at the SKM conference can be found under "Events".