The Magnus-Haus Berlin is the representative office of the DPG in the German capital and the domicile of the its regional association Physikalische Gesellschaft zu Berlin.
The Magnus-Haus Berlin was named after Gustav Magnus, Professor of Technology, who bought the house in 1840, founded the first physics institute in Germany there in 1842 and headed it until his death in 1870. In his laboratory, advanced students were allowed to use his private collection of physical apparatuses for their own experiments. Participants in the Physical Colloquium initiated by Magnus in 1843 founded the Physikalische Gesellschaft zu Berlin (PGzB) in 1845, from which the Deutsche Physikalische Gesellschaft (DPG) emerged in 1899. more...
As a scientific meeting place, the Magnus-Haus Berlin serves to treat problems which physicists can contribute to solving and which are of general importance for our civilisation, to present physical science and its neighbouring disciplines, to promote physical research and teaching by intensifying the exchange of ideas between physicists and to promote interdisciplinary discussions between physics and other technical-scientific fields. The Scientific Director is responsible for the DPG event programme, supported by a Board of Trustees, which gives advice in particular on the strategic planning of the event programme.
⇒ Contact / Location
⇒ Event Room Rental