Young generation scientists are one of the main target groups the activities of the Wilhelm und Else Heraeus Foundation are addressed to. Therefore, in 1989, the foundation together with the DPG established a program that gives young physicists in an early period of their scientific career (Master, Diplom or PhD thesis) the opportunity to present their own scientific results to a censorious audience.
Within this programme the active participation at EPS and IUPAP conferences, which take place in Europe, is financially supported.
EPS and IUPAP conferences you can be found at: The European Physical Society (EPS) and International Union of Pure and Applied Physics (IUPAP).
Criteria for applicants
- you are a personal member of DPG,
- you are a conference participant with an age up to 35 years*,
- your DPG membership account is balanced,
- your centre of living or work is located in Germany,
- you have not completed your doctorate or rather you are a postdoc up to 3 years after your doctor's degree,
- you do get not financial support (either totally or partly) from your university or academic institution for conference participation and
- you are author or co-author of a conference contribution (talk or a poster) which was submitted and has been accepted by the administration of the conference (Funding is possible only for one participant per contribution!),
*For funding in 2022, this means that DPG members born in 1986 or after are eligible to apply for finacial support.
… then you can apply for a grant by taking three steps:
- Abstract submission at EPS or IUPAP conference
- Participants registration at EPS or IUPAP conference
- Fill in the WEH form and submit it, together with a copy of your abstract submission’s confirmation, by email or mail – until 6 weeks before the conference starts, at the latest to the DPG Head Office.
Applications coming in after this date cannot be taken into consideration.
The WEH form for application are available at the end of this page.
Your application will be formally checked by the DPG Head Office and you will receive a confirmation note (application acceptance/rejection) within a few working days by email.
At the EPS or IUPAP conference you should receive a confirmation of attendance and a payment receipt of the conference fee.
Please send – no later than 6 weeks after the end of the conference – all the documents that you would like to charge (e.g. certificate of attendance, receipt for the conference fee, train or flight ticket, hotel bill) in original by mail to the DPG Head Office.
The following lump sums count for the conferences:
- Conference fee (early bird fee only, if applicable)
- Costs per overnight stay: 20,00 Euro per overnight stay – according to your attendance; maximum up to 6 nights, if no overnight stay is included in the conference fee. For distances less than 70 km, the overnight fee does not apply, since it is assumed that you stayed at home.
- Daily allowance: 24,00 Euro per day – according to your attendance; maximum up to 7 days, if no food is included in the conference fee.
- Travel expenses: The actual travel expenses or if you arrive by car 0,18 EUR for each distance kilometre (round-trip) between conference location and university location.
If the conference takes place at your university town, only the registration fee is subsidized because it is assumed that you ate and slept at home.
Based on the above mentioned lump sums, the total eligible costs of your trip will be determined. Your grant will amount max. 50% of these costs.
The payment of the grant follows – after prior notification by email – about 7 weeks after the end of the conference by wire transfer to the bank account you mentioned in your application.
In case of additional reimbursement of expenses by another institution, the applicants already bind themselves in their application to inform the reimbursing institution about the amount of the reimbursement by the Wilhelm und Else Heraeus Communication Programme of the DPG.
Deutsche Physikalische Gesellschaft e.V.
53604 BAD HONNEF