- So, 08.09.2019 18:00 – Fr, 13.09.2019 18:00
- Physikzentrum Bad Honnef
Hauptstr. 5, 53604 Bad Honnef, Germany
- Sektion Materie und Kosmos (SMuK)
Physics and Astrophysics of Gravitational Waves
Gerhard Schäfer (FSU Jena), Bernd Brügmann (FSU Jena), Kostas Kokkotas (EKU Tübingen)
8 - 13 September, 2019, Physikzentrum Bad Honnef, Germany
The School is a theoretical school which teaches the physics and astrophysics of gravitational waves (GWs) in view of full-fledged applications. Various scientists from the LIGO and Virgo Collaborations will be involved, including the LIGO spokesperson at the time of the first detection of GWs. Basic knowledge of general relativity (GR) and relativistic astrophysics on the level of a Bachelor curriculum is expected. Discussion and exercise sessions will allow the participants to deepen their understanding of the lectures. Advanced participants are invited to present posters or to give short talks.
The opening lecture will be of general type, presenting the essentials of GR and how GWs arise in GR. The physics of GWs will be taught covering their generation, propagation, polarization, and measurement. Introducing and applying numerical relativity, astrophysical sources of GWs will be described (vibrating neutron stars and black holes, core collapse to neutron stars or black holes, binary neutron stars and black holes). The detection of GWs will find detailed presentation followed by the theory of GW data analysis with applications to the measured GWs. Furthermore, the to be detected stochastic GW background will be discussed. In the Evening Talk on Wednesday a broad overview of GR will be presented, which covers all measurements related to GR, in particular celebrating 100 years of light-deflection measurements.
- Luc Blanchet (CNRS, Sorbonne Université, Paris, France)
- Valerie Domcke (DESY, Hamburg, Germany)
- Gabriela González (Louisiana State University, USA)
- Mark Hannam (University of Cardiff, Great Britain)
- Piotr Jaranowski (University of Białystok, Poland)
- Kostas Kokkotas (University of Tübingen, Germany)
- Andrzej Królak (Polish Academy of Sciences, Warsaw, Poland)
- Claus Lämmerzahl (ZARM, University of Bremen, Germany)
- Ewald Müller (MPI for Astrophysics, Garching, Germany)
- Luciano Rezzolla (Goethe University of Frankfurt, Germany)
- Gerhard Schäfer (University of Jena, Germany)
- J.B. Hartle "Gravity: An Introduction to Einstein's General Relativity"
- J.D.E. Creighton and W.G. Anderson "Gravitational-Wave Physics and Astronomy: An Introduction to Theory, Experiment and Data Analysis"
- M. Maggiore "Gravitational Waves. Vol. 1: Theory & Experiments, Vol. 2: Astrophysics & Cosmology"
Books by Lecturers
- P. Jaranowski and A. Królak "Analysis of Gravitational-Wave Data"
- L. Rezzolla and O. Zanotti "Relativistic Hydrodynamics"
Catalog of detected GWs
200 € full board and lodging (for DPG* members 100 € )
* The German Physical Society (DPG)