Methods of Effective Field Theory and Lattice Field Theory
Bad Honnef Physics School
- Su, 09.07.2023 18:00 – Fr, 21.07.2023 14:00
- Alexei Bazavov, Nora Brambilla, Viljami Leino, Johannes H. Weber
- Physikzentrum Bad Honnef
Hauptstr. 5, 53604 Bad Honnef, Germany
Alexei Bazavov (Michigan State University), Nora Brambilla (Technical University of Munich), Viljami Leino (Johannes Gutenberg University of Mainz) and Johannes H. Weber (Humboldt University of Berlin)
July 9 - 21, 2023, Physikzentrum Bad Honnef, Germany
Andreas S. Kronfeld (Fermi National Accelerator Laboratory/TUM-IAS), Peter Petreczky (Brookhaven National Laboratory), Antonio Vairo (TUM)
The scope of this school is to offer graduate students and postdocs complementary training at the frontier of EFTs and lattice field theory focusing on relevant physical problems.
Besides introductory lectures to well-established and general methods in EFT and Lattice we will host talks on innovative ideas and approaches at the fields’ interface.
Special emphasis is put on aspects of nuclear physics relevant for neutrino and dark matter physics, jet physics, parton distribution functions and nuclear structure, vacuum and in-medium heavy quark physics, and quantum information science.
This training at the interface of these two approaches will provide young scientists with the tools for tackling the most interesting and still open problems in particle and nuclear physics.
Exercises, solutions as well as discussions will be key features of the school. Lecturers are supposed to assign few interesting and pedagogical exercises that will be solved in the afternoon and poster sessions will offer opportunities for presenting and discussing the participants’ research.
Speakers & Topics:
- Alexei Bazavov (Michigan State University): Introduction to lattice field theory
- Eric Braaten (Ohio State University): Introduction to effective field theory
- Szabolcs Borsanyi (Wuppertal University): Numerical algorithms in lattice field theory
- Robert Harlander (RWTH Aachen University): Gradient flow (perturbation theory)
- Andrea Shindler (Michigan State University): Gradient flow (lattice)
- Johan Bijnens (Lund University): Chiral perturbation theory (continuum and lattice)
- Joan Soto (University of Barcelona): Heavy quarks, NR EFT
- Nilmani Mathur (Tata Institute of Fundamental Research) Hadron spectroscopy on the lattice (exotics)
- Emanuele Mereghetti (LANL): Nuclear physics from QCD (EFT)
- Antonio Vairo (TUM): EFT and Open Quantum Systems
- Aleksi Vuorinen (University of Helsinki): EFT for dense systems in relation to gravitational waves
- Aida El Khadra (University of Illinois): Applications of EFT and lattice to muon g-2
- Huey-Wen Lin (Michigan State University): Parton distribution functions
- Yannick Meurice (University of Iowa): Hamiltonian lattice field theory, quantum computing and related topics
- Marina Krstic Marinkovic (ETH Zurich): QCD+QED
- Alexander Rothkopf (University of Stavanger): Bayesian methods
- Ruth Van de Water (Fermilab): Flavor physics, EFT and lattice
- Michael Wagman (Fermilab): Nuclear physics from QCD (lattice)
- Michael Strickland (Kent State University): Finite temperature field theory (continuum)
- Attila Pasztor (ELTE Eotvos Lorand University): Finite temperature field theory (lattice)
- Stephen Sharpe (University of Washington): Multiparticle scattering
FEES: 200 € full board and lodging (for DPG* members 100 € )
* The German Physical Society (DPG)
To apply, please send an email to gomer (at) pbh.de with the subject line "application to the EFT School 2023" containing:
- short motivation for your participation in the school
- your cv
Applications will be reviewed continuously starting January 5, 2023 in the order they are received. Given the limited capacity of the school, we encourage the prospective students to apply early on. Applications received before April 10, 2023 will be given full consideration.
⇒ Confirmed Participants
⇒ Special Offer for Train Tickets
Attention: There are some fake companies, which pretend to organize your stay in Bad Honnef. Please, be careful and do not reply to them. Your accommodation and full board will be provided exclusively by the Physikzentrum.