- Su, 20.01.2019 17:00 – Fr, 25.01.2019 14:00
- Physikzentrum Bad Honnef
Hauptstr. 5, 53604 Bad Honnef, Germany
Bad Honnef Physics School on Plasma-Astroparticle Physics
Wolfgang Rhode (TU Dortmund) and Julia Tjus (RU Bochum)
20 - 25 January, 2019, Physikzentrum Bad Honnef, Germany
SubjectThe vibrant field of astroparticle physics encompasses the production, the propagation and the detection of cosmic particles, and of electromagnetic radiation at all wavelengths. The field is based on strong roots in astronomy and plasma physics at the one hand, and on cosmology respectively particle physics on the other hand. Acceleration and propagation of large particle populations are commonly described by means of plasma physics, whereas the - rare but crucially important - interactions of particles from this populations are described by calculation and simulation techniques from the field of particle physics.
The observations are conducted with telescopes detecting not only astronomical sources but also particle properties, and by particle detectors employed for astronomical observations.
At the crossroads of this rapidly evolving research avenues, this school will present the most recent state of plasma-astroparticle physics. It is aimed at Master- and PhD-students and comprises of lectures accompanied by practical tutoring, which is meant to give further insights into specific topics (focus on astro-, plasma- or particle-physics to enlarge the students' background in fields they as of yet have not had the opportunity to actively work). Students will also be given the opportunity to present their own research in short contributions.
Topics & Lecturers include
- Astrophysical Plasmas (Martin Pohl, Universität Potsdam & DESY Zeuthen)
- AGN Models (Sara Buson, Universität Würzburg)
- Machine Learning in Particle and Astroparticle Physics (Martin Erdmann, RWTH Aachen)
- High Energy Neutrinos (Anna Nelles, DESY Zeuthen)
- Cosmic Ray Driven Galactic Winds(?) (Ralf-Jürgen Dettmar, RU Bochum)
- Fundamental Physics with IACTs (Sabrina Einecke, University of Adelaide)
- Cross – Section measurements at Collider Experiments (Kevin Kröninger, TU Dortmund)
- Heavy Quark Physics with LHCb (Michael Schmelling, MPIK Heidelberg)
- Tutorials and Workshops (Dorit Glawion, Universität Heidelberg; Konstancja Satalecka, DESY Zeuthen; MJ Pueschel, University of Austin)
- Multi – Messenger Astronomy (Dominik Elsässer, TU Dortmund)
200 € full board and lodging (for DPG* members 100 € )
* The German Physical Society (DPG)