- Th, 27.03.2003 18:30 – Sa, 29.03.2003 16:00
- Monika Bessenrodt-Weberpals, MPP Garching
- Physikzentrum Bad Honnef
Hauptstr. 5, 53604 Bad Honnef, Germany
- Event partner:
- Wilhelm and Else Heraeus-Foundation
- DPG Association:
- Working Group on Equal Opportunities (AKC)
The international conference of the IUPAP "Women in Physics", which has been taken place in Paris in March 2002, has brought together more than 300 physicists from 67 countries world-wide. Among them are countries where female physicists work as a matter of course since long ago, e.g. in South-West Europe like Portugal, Spain or France or in Eastern Europe or in Scandinavian countries.
It has also been observed world-wide that female physicists live in an over-whelming majority in "Dual Career Couples" (DCC's), i.e. in couples, where both partners have studied and both follow her/his respective career.
After the IUPAP Conference has discussed the topic "Balancing Family and Career" on a broad international perspective, this seminar will learn from the positive examples across the world and apply them to Germany. To this aim
1. the existing structures in academia und industry in physics will be analysed,
2. successfull examples across Europe will be studied, and
3. suggestions how to realise these concepts in Germany will be gathered.