WE Heraeus Communication Programme
“Large international conferences”
Young generation scientists are one of the main target groups the activities of the Wilhelm und Else Heraeus Foundation are addressed to. Therefore, in 1989, the foundation together with the DPG established a program that gives young physicists in an early period of their scientific career (Master, Diplom or PhD thesis) the opportunity to present their own scientific results to a censorious audience.
Within this programme the active participation at “large international conferences”, which take place in Germany, is financially supported.
"Large international conferences" last several days, feature more than 100 participants and are usually part of a series of correspondent conferences.
Criteria for applicants
- you are a young conference participant,
- your centre of living or work is located in Germany,
- you do not get travelling expenses refunded (either totally or partly) by your academic institution,
- you are author or co-author of a conference contribution (talk or a poster) which was submitted and has been accepted by the administration of the conference (Funding is possible only for one participant per contribution.),
- you are a personal member of DPG in fee categories E, A or 3 (f.c. 3: only Diploma, Master and PhD students) or rather a postdoc up to 3 years after your doctor's degree (within the above mentioned f.c.) and
- your DPG membership account is balanced …
… then you can apply for a grant by taking three steps:
- Contact the conference organisation of the "large international conference". They have to submit a written application for support of the conference to the DPG Head Office until 3 months before the conference starts, at the latest.
- In case of a commitment by DPG to support the conference, you can apply for a grant.
- „Abstract submission“ at “large international conference”
- „Participants registration“ at “large international conference”
- Fill in the WEH online form below (you will need to have your membership number at hand) and submit it, together with a copy of your abstract submission’s confirmation, by email or mail – until 6 weeks before the conference starts, at the latest.
Applications coming in after this date cannot be taken into consideration.
Your application will be formally checked by the DPG Head Office and you will receive a confirmation note (application acceptance / rejection) within a few working days by email.
At the “large international conference” you need to request a confirmation of attendance and a payment receipt of the conference fee.
Please send – no later than 6 weeks after the end of the conference – all the documents that you would like to charge (e.g. certificate of attendance, receipt for the conference fee, train or flight ticket, hotel bill) in original by mail to the DPG Head Office. The following lump sums count for the conference:
- Conference fee (early bird fee only)
- Costs per overnight stay: 20,00 € – according to your attendance
- Daily allowance: 24,00 € – according to your attendance
- Travel expenses: 0,18 € for each distance kilometre (round-trip) between conference location and university location (Only travelling costs within Germany can be refunded. For distances less than 70 km, the overnight fee does not apply, since it is assumed that you stayed at home. If the meeting takes place at your university, only the registration fee is subsidized because it is assumed that you ate and slept at home.)
Based on the above mentioned lump sums, the total eligible costs of your trip will be determined.
Your travel grant will amount max. 50 % of these costs.
The payment follows – after prior notification by email – about 7 weeks after the end of the conference by bank transfer to the bank account you mentioned in your application.
In case of additional reimbursement of expenses by another institution, the applicants already bind themselves in their application to inform the reimbursing institution about the amount of the reimbursement by the Wilhelm und Else Heraeus Communication Programme of the DPG.
Deutsche Physikalische Gesellschaft e.V.
53604 BAD HONNEF